Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Seeing the Light Within the Dark

My immediate yoga circle was all abuzz after reading a recent article in the Huffington Post. Entitled "Yoga's Dark Side", yoga and pilates instructor, Erin Motzenbecker, describes what she feels is the "dark side" of yoga. She believes some yogis are becoming characters straight from the movie Mean Girls, critical and aggressive, in what should be an non-judgemental community. She also points out the ever expansive consumer driven side of yoga.

There's a lot going on in Erin's article. There's a lot that I agree with, but also a lot that I see in a different light. First, I can totally identify with her food issues in the yoga world. On a daily basis I'm surrounded by people guzzling down green smoothies and eating Lara Bars like they're going out of style. When I started to teach yoga more regularly, I would be very mindful of what I packed in my lunch. I'm not a vegetarian, but there was no way in hell I was going to bring a turkey sandwich to a yoga studio! I was sure to be judged while eating sliced up animal flesh! Of course that was just my own insecurities shining through. I know eating a plant based diet is better for me, but no one was going to criticize me for eating meat. That's a decision I was making on my own. The judgement I was worried about was simply from an internal dialogue. Of course now that I'm more immersed in my yoga practice, I'm just naturally drawn to a more plant based diet as I know that's what serves my body best.

Second, Erin points out the egos that are growing in the yoga world. She states, "Studios are full of people who can barely be bothered to make eye contact, let alone build any kind of friendship". This is definitely alarming. Granted Erin maybe has never experienced the "Minnesota Nice" yoga community, but rarely have I come across such cold yogis. Majority of my closest friends are yogis from the studio. However, I have practiced in more serious spaces where people are simply quiet and keep to themselves so that they can fully focus on their individual practice. I don't see anything wrong with that. When working with a guest instructor, especially if it's only for a short workshop, I keep very quiet and to myself. When I'm focusing on my studies, I rarely go out of my way to make conversation with my fellow yogis. Maybe that's me being self-righteous, or maybe that's me clearing my mind and preparing for my practice.

Lastly, the consumerism part has been a constant struggle for me. I own expensive mala beads that usually just sit on my bedside table. The outfit I'm wearing right now probably cost me no less than $125. Because I have the newest and best pair of yoga pants does not mean I'm going to serve my students better on a particular day. I know yoga is not about material goods. However, when I'm teaching students in studios that are no less than 95 degrees all day long, it's important to have clothes that are going to last and withstand my lifestyle. Usually those $80 yoga pants are the only things that'll do the trick. Of course most of my students wear the same brands and are happy to shell out the big bucks to be seen wearing those brands, but who am I to judge them? If a student walks in wearing Target brand yoga clothes I don't treat them any differently. I even have students approach me about not being able to afford the expensive yoga brands so they ask me tips on how to care for their few articles of yoga clothing to make it last longer and stink free. I'm happy to share this with them because I want them to stay with their practice! I even tell them where to shop to find great deals on the best brands! No one should feel like they can't practice yoga because of the clothes they practice in or the mat they practice on.

In a nutshell, it comes down to judgement. Erin definitely has valid points, but where is the judgement coming from? Is it an internal dialogue on something she's insecure with? Are these judgements that she's making about others? Or is she just simply feeling judged in her yoga community? It's hard to say, but there's a good chance it's all of the above.



No comments:

Post a Comment