Monday, November 19, 2012

LIfe Lesson from Yoga #2: I Now Know How to Breathe

Now I know this sounds kind of crazy, but yoga has taught me how to breathe. Breathing is one the many involuntary things our body naturally does. I don't have to tell my lungs to fill when I inhale or to release when I exhale. The body just does these actions to bring in oxygen.


Not that I needed to learn how to breathe, but yoga has taught me how to use my breath effectively. In my yoga practice I try to keep my breath steady in even the most challenging of postures. When the breath becomes inconsistent, that's my signal to hit child's pose and come back to my breath. Breath works the same way in your everyday life. The moment things get rough and your breath becomes rapid or uneven, it's time for a break. Stuck in traffic and already freaking out because you're late for an appointment? Take a few deep breaths. Significant other left a sink full of dishes for you to take care (again)? Close your eyes and take five deep breaths. When one of those challenges from life is thrown your way, the challenge becomes a whole lot easier if you're able to just breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment